Safety Tips: Things to do in Nigeria when you are in a building that is on fire
If you find yourself in a building that is on fire in Nigeria, here are some things you can do:
- Stay calm: The first and most important thing to do is to try and stay calm. This can be difficult, but it’s important to keep a clear head and make rational decisions.
- Alert others: If there are other people in the building, alert them to the fire and try to help them evacuate. Use fire alarms, fire extinguishers, and other fire safety equipment if available.
- Evacuate the building: If the fire is small and you feel confident in your ability to put it out with a fire extinguisher, try to do so. However, if the fire is too large or you feel unsafe, evacuate the building immediately.
- Use the stairs: Never use elevators during a fire. Instead, use the stairs to evacuate the building. If the stairs are blocked or filled with smoke, find another exit.
- Cover your mouth and nose: Smoke inhalation is a serious risk during a fire. Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth or other material to help filter out the smoke.
- Stay low: If you have to move through a smoke-filled area, stay as low to the ground as possible. Smoke rises, so the air will be clearer closer to the floor.
- Call for help: Once you are safely outside, call emergency services and provide them with as much information as possible about the fire and your location.
Remember, the most important thing during a fire is to stay calm and evacuate the building as quickly and safely as possible.